Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

Joining the Choir

Some of my earliest memories have to do with music. My dad loved to sing and to play his guitar. He thought of himself as a one of the four tenors. Church was his Carnegie Hall, he and another guy in the congregation would sing as loud as they could. It was a bit of a competition they would try to drown each other out. I spent years of my life wishing dad would stop doing that.

Now, My kids wish I would stop doing it. I have no competition in my ward. I have the voice like a trumpet when I want to be heard there nothing any one can do to stop me. When I know a song. I sing it with all my heart. By the end of the song everyone knows I loved singing it. And I only feel slightly sorry for those that gained that knowledge from the row in front of me.

I’m don’t consider myself a great singer, but I can hold my own. On occasions someone will ask me to join a choir of some kind. I’ve always been reluctant to do so. It always take up so much time and energy. Choir is one of those things everyone thinks that they can do but few actually can. Also I can be shy, I have no formal training and have difficulties sight reading music. A couple of weeks ago I told a guy in my ward that I would join his choir for a Christmas program.

Sunday was our first practice. It’s funny you fight something for so long because of laziness or feeling awkward. When you start doing it you’re reminded of how much you love it. We sat for half an hour waiting as the choir director shifted through the first practice chaos. I was starting to get antsy. I wanted to sing. I wanted to unleash my voice upon the world.

Tired of waiting and wanting to get some singing in before we went home I asked the bases in my row to sing “Called to Serve” It was just me and another guy at first. But only after a couple of lines, then the entire choir was singing the song. Everyone, it was great the choir director suddenly noticed there was choir there that wanted to sing. So she came over and got us warmed up. The rest of the practice reminded me why I love singing in the choir. At the end of the practice the choir director told us we needed to make it to every practice. It’s funny, when I started I wasn’t sure how committed I would be to the choir. But after singing a few songs with them. I don’t see how they could keep me away.

ps. Rocket car had problems we are working with the engineers to see if we can't correct the problem and get some pics on line.

Zane Thor

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?