Sunday, September 25, 2005

 

Dancing with the kids

Friday after work, I came home excited to face a new weekend with my family. I joked jovially with my wife and kids. I was feeling really good. The kids sensing my mode to play started to play around me, hanging on to my legs, running into me, jumping on me like I was a new set of monkey bars at the school yard. It was really fun.

After dinner my wife put a CD with old 90’s songs in the player. It was a dance festival in our living room. Our five speaker surround sound was put to it‘s test. I don‘t think we ever had the system that loud for any movie we ever watched. Yet, here we were blasting out our sub‘s dancing in the living room. My youngest daughter at age 4 reminded me what the Tahitian dances should look like. She stuck out her cute little butt and shook it side to side so fast. I couldn‘t help but laugh. It was so adorable.

My older Daughter has had some dance training so she was looking way funnier. At first I thought she was doing her impression of Elaine from Sienfeld. She clapped her hands and jerked her head back while at the same time kicking her foot forward. I looked at my wife, she looked at me and at the same time we started to laugh. My daughter was encouraged by the fact that she was getting attention so then she planted her feet clapped her hands and this 6 year old started doing her “shake that money maker” dance. My eyes nearly fell out of their sockets. But that was not the best part of it the best part of it was when she reached back with one hand and slapped her behind. And shouted “yeah!!”. OH MY GOODNESS where did she learn that? Her mother and I had a very long conversation after dance night was over.

My nine year old son was a bit of pooper. At first he was really into it. I was teaching him the “Hitch’s” 6 inches/90 degree rule of the “cool dance“. He was having none of that, he jumped around, then started to throw himself on the floor. After a while he ended up hurting his back when he tried to do what we used to call a suicide. He did a couple more moves to show us that he could but most of it was cart wheels and even a back bend. Mom showed him how to do that.

After watching him for a few minutes I started to think he’s clearly trying to break dance. And I know something about that. So I got down on the floor to show him the moves of a young L.A. breaker, head spinning, back spinning, helicopter doing, Zane. I put on hand on the ground for support and then got down to do my move. To find that my body not only didn’t remember what to do, it out right refused to do it. I found myself on my back working hard to get back up again. When I got back up I thought it best to stick to the robot. No more "getting down".

My wife enjoyed herself as well. We dance for two hours. Finally, kids pooped and parents too tired to do anything else. We put in "National Treasure" as our evening ender. When it was over the kids headed for bed, they slept a nice 10 hours solid. I loved it.

Zane Thor

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?